Travelling in South Africa - Visa Requirements

South Africa is a safe place to travel, even as a woman alone. Common sense is all you need really to get by without problems. Below is a collection of useful information to help you get off on the right foot. We are always happy to discuss these matters in more detail with you by telephone or email. We have many years of experience and have lived in the country for over a decade and will be able to help you with any questions you may have.

Visa Requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 30 days from the date of exit from South Africa.

Your passport should have at least 2 blank pages when you present it at immigration to enter or leave South Africa.


If you’re visiting South Africa for tourism or business purposes for a period of up to 90 days, you don’t need a visa.

The South African government doesn’t accept British passports that have been extended by 12 months by British Embassies and Consulates under exceptional measures put in place in mid-2014. You won’t be able to enter or exit South Africa on an expired British passport with an extension stamp.

New Regulations for Families Travelling With Children

As a response to the growing issue of child trafficking, South Africa has announced new regulations for families travelling into or out of the country with children. With effect from 1 June 2015, parents of children under the age of 18 will be required to produce the following documentation when entering or leaving the borders of South Africa:

Both parents travelling with a child

The unabridged birth certificate of the child, which must include the full names of both the father and the mother.

One parent travelling with a child

The unabridged birth certificate of the child, which must include the full names of both the father and the mother.

An affidavit signed by the other parent and authorising the parent who is travelling with the child to do so.  Please read the official information and complete the online affidavit.

If the parent who is travelling with the child has been granted full parental rights and responsibilities or is the legal guardian of the child, he or she must produce the court order granting them those rights.

If the other parent is deceased, the parent who is travelling must produce their death certificate.

An adult travelling with a child who is not their biological child

A copy of the child’s unabridged birth certificate.

An affidavit from the child’s parents or legal guardians confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child.

Copies of the identity documents or passports of the child’s parents or legal guardians.

The contact details for the child’s parents or legal guardians.

*Unabridged birth certificate: Please note that this must show the full details of the child, as well as both parents, including ID numbers and place of birth.

Supporting documents should either be the originals or certified copies of the originals.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry into, transit and exit from South Africa but should have a minimum of 6 months validity.

Yellow fever

You must have a yellow fever certificate issued at least 10 days before arrival in South Africa if you have travelled from a country with yellow fever, or if you have transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. This includes when entry is solely to transit through a South African airport. If you don’t have a valid certificate, you’ll be denied entry to South Africa.


Pakamisa Private Game Reserve

How to make the most of every moment?

Local knowledge makes a huge difference! When I asked Ash at Best of South Africa to give me some guidance on how to make the most of our trip to Cape Town and Franschhoek wine valley, I felt sure she would be able to send me in the right direction. It never occurred  to me that she would organise our ...

J Ross

Recent Blog entries